Rheumatic Fever is due to the immunological response of the body to beta-hemolytic streptococci.
Antibodies form against beta-hemolytic streptococci cross-react with different
the tissue of the body especially of the heart (B/C they contain antigen which are
similar to the antigen of Beta Hemolytic Streptococci)and causes their damage.
Usually occur 10 to 15 days after Phyrangitis (sore throat)
due to Beta Hemolytic Streptococci.
- Carditis: it is the inflammation of the heart. There may be shortness of Breath, Palpitation, edema, chest pain, cardiac murmur (abnormal heart sound).
- Polyarthritis: It is the inflammation of joints, joints are painful(tender) On touching, Swollen, and maybe red and hot. Usually, many joints are involved. when inflammation improves in the joint, nearby joint is affected (Migratory arthritis).
- Chorea: These are Purposeless, repetitive movements of limbs, head, etc, which may occur in a patient of rheumatic fever.
- Erythema marginatum : These are skin rashes present on the body of some patients of rheumatic fever.
- Subcutaneous Nodules: These are Painless and small nodules under the skin usually present on the Friction area of skin.